Monday, April 11, 2011

Le Comte Ory

The past weekend's Le Comte Ory, composed by Rossini, conducted by Maestro Maurizio Benini, was for the least, the most entertaining premiere that I have ever seen at the Met.
Here are some reviews - NY TIMES; OPERA TODAY;
Let me first say, the Met's Power Ranger - Maestro Levin has always been great. He is compassionate to the music, and can be both furious and sensible in his conducting. Many singers love working with him, hint audience also see him as the beloved mentor of their journey in opera. James Levin is THE icon of the Met for years, even though he will eventually retire, he will be missed terribly. However, I had already heard some rather negative reviews of Le Comte Ory, conducted by Italian Maestro Maurizio Benini. After seeing it, i am guessing perhaps Levin would have interpret the opera differently, with his own definition. But, I didn't mind the Benini interpretation a bit. And the fact that the delightful combination of Didonato, Damaru and Florez combination is so hilariously wonderful, one can hardly say the production is dull. I particularly enjoy the trio bed scene with Cont Ory, Contess and Isolier,what a charming design by director Bartlett Sher, that managed to avoid any potential confusion credits to the composer's playfulness mind. Mr.Sher whom I had encountered in "South Pacific" back in 2008, left me with good impression. I hope to see him more in the future, and a big BRAVO to the production.
It is also my first live sight of Diana Damrau,

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESVA!