Tuesday, July 26, 2011

2012 is the audition year!!

I've been "diagnosed" to be a Lyric Soprano in the recent years, coming from a habitual Mezzo since elementary school, (my speaking voice is kind of tucked back.) it's been very different and challenging.
Often I am asked: What is a Lyric soprano and how does it differ from soprano / mezzo?
Wikipedia seems to have all the answers, this is what I found: A lyric soprano is a type of operatic soprano that has a warm quality with a bright, full timbre which can be heard over an orchestra. The lyric soprano voice generally has a higher tessitura than a soubrette and usually plays ingenues and other sympathetic characters in opera. Lyric sopranos have a range from approximately middle C (C4) to "high D" (D6).[1] There is a tendency to divide lyric sopranos into two groups, light & full.

 And here is a good example, my hero-- Anna Moffo (She's from PA! So is Tina Fey!)


I'm gathering my repertories and preparing to audition for the NY lyric theater in 2012.  Whether I get in the semi or not, it is important that I try :) So cross fingers for me please!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESVA!