Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Opera by Billy Elliot writer Lee Hall cancelled...

over gay reference...:( Basically, Lee Hall, writer of "Billy Elliot" was commissioned an opera by Opera North.  The school that was working along with the production, and were going to lend 300 pupils to the production did not feel comfortable with such line: Of course I'm queer/ That's why I left here / So if you infer / That I prefer / A lad to a lass / And I'm working class / I'd have to concur."  Neither party would budge, so the production is formally "canceled".  Hopefully the production will resume sometime in the future. (Man this would not have happened in Europe :()

1 comment:

  1. Hey, could you sign our petition to get the Opera reinstated?

    http://www.change.org/petitions/asking-opera-north-to-stand-against-homophobia-and-bring-beached-back-to-bridlington

    ReplyDelete

ESVA!